Author Topic: Junkie Thinking  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Maddie

Junkie Thinking
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
JUNKIE THINKING: "One puff won't hurt."

RESPONSE: "One puff will always hurt me, and it always will because I'm not a social smoker. One puff and I'll be smoking compulsively again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I only want one."

RESPONSE: "I have never wanted only one. In fact, I want 20-30 a day, every day. I want them all."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'll just be a social smoker."

RESPONSE: "I'm a chronic, compulsive smoker, and once I smoke one, I'll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social smokers can take it or leave it. That's not me!"

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now."

RESPONSE: "The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore. I'll be smoking again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'll just stop again."

RESPONSE: "Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it took me to stop this time. And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?"

JUNKIE THINKING: "If I slip, I'll keep trying."

RESPONSE: "If I think I can get away with one little 'slip' now I'll think I can get away with another little 'slip' later on. And the slipping will get stronger and the trying will get weaker."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I need one to get me through this withdrawal."

RESPONSE: "Smoking will not get me through the discomfort of not smoking. It will only get me back to smoking. One puff stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I miss smoking right now."

RESPONSE: "Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. But do I miss the chest pains right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I'd rather be an ex-smoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I really need to smoke now, I'm so upset (or depressed, or whatever)."

RESPONSE: "Smoking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset or depressed or whatever, I'll just be an upset/depressed smoker. I never have to have a cigarette. Smoking is not a need, it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not smoking."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'm bored."

RESPONSE: "Smoking is an 'activity' or 'something to do' only for smokers. I'm really not 'doing' anything when I smoke except still sitting/standing there. The rest of the world survives occasional boredom quite well without inhaling life-challenging chemicals."

JUNKIE THINKING: "But they've been smoking on TV and in the movies for years! There are even magazines devoted to tobacco products!"

RESPONSE: "That's right. They were on TV for years; I wasn't. I'm still alive; many of them aren't, and they departed this vale of tears in prolonged and painful ways. And the smiling faces in the magazines now are risking painful and disfiguring surgery later, at which point they won't be smiling at all."

JUNKIE THINKING: "Its so nice to go out for a 'breath of fresh air' and a cigarette."

RESPONSE: "Fresh air? I've got to be kidding. And face it, sunny days are one thing, but how many days do I huddle out in the rain with the rain hitting the cigarette and turning the cigarette paper that disgusting yellow color? How many times is it windy and it takes
forever to keep a match or lighter lit long enough to light the cigarette, and then how often does a gust of wind come up and blow the ashes into my eyes? And when it's icy outside, freezing my face off is bad enough, but when it defrosts, there's this bizarre yellow condensation around my nostrils. Now THAT'S attractive."

JUNKIE THINKING: "Smoking makes work go faster."

RESPONSE: "Most jobs where you work indoors are in companies which ban smoking in the workplace. Some companies won't hire me if I smoke. And every time I stop for a smoke it actually prolongs my work, since I'm not busy accomplishing it."

JUNKIE THINKING: "Let's face it. I am a smoker. I always will be."

RESPONSE: "The truth is that you're not a smoker. The only thing that smokes is the cigarette. You are the sucker though for falling for the belief that you cannot live without the habit of inhaling smoke. If everyone who believed at one time they were forever doomed to smoke [were, in fact, forever doomed] then places like AS3 would not exist."

[reposted here from the as3 archives, where it was collectively written]

Offline PolarBear

• once a Rocker always a Rocker
Re: Junkie Thinking
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
one of my junkie thinking is when I do something and completed it I want to reward myself with a smoke.

not anymore now I take deep breath or cold water or do some stretches, or sometimes reward myself with chocolate.  @@@neener@@@
PolarBear
PolarBear
 "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"
I will not fail. I will prove that Bipolars can
stay quit too
VOF 28 June 2010

Offline Maddie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
Great rewards, Carmen!  ^^^thumbs up^^^

Also, I didn't want the original post to look like it was authored by me. So I added that notation at the end. I was always under the impression that the Junkie Thinking collection was written as a collaborative effort within as3 for the FAQ or similar. But in a quick search, I'm finding the earliest post of it at the Freedom message board. Of course, Google has completely bolloxed their Groups search precision. And this was just a cursory search I did. Will keep researching if I find the time...but you dinosaurs out there older than this here pterodactyl, any insight on who authored this great Junkie Thinking collection? It sure helped my quit!

Offline DavidL

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:40 AM »
The worst junkie thought process is "it's not my fault".
"I would be able to quit smoking if so and so did so and so."
Or, "I can't quit smoking because.......".
You CAN quit smoking!
And, only YOU can quit smoking.
It's no one else's fault and no one else can do it for you.
My Quit Date: 8/6/2007 12:45 AM

Offline BessieBee

• Administrator
  • Quit: 09/29/2004 at 3:00PM
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »
 ###like### DavidL!!

Good post!   ^^^thumbs up^^^
--
###flowers###

Offline DavidL

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
###like### DavidL!!

Good post!   ^^^thumbs up^^^

I've got folks in my life that need to learn that truth about things other than smoking.
I absolutely hate rationalizing, justifying and the making of excuses.
Especially by any one named David.
My Quit Date: 8/6/2007 12:45 AM

Offline FlatironMike

• May the Gnomes Be With You
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:56 AM »
Thanks for posting this to the group, Maddie.  I have read and re-read it more than once and fully appreciate the wisdom.  I am unsure as well as to the authorship but do sort of remember it was a group effort here back when you had to crank your Victrola to get to Usenet.  &&&uglyman&&&

FlatironMike
&&fim&&
Smober & Free since February 10, 2007 at 10:30PM!

It Just Gets Better!

Offline SteveS

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »
This should be required reading for all newbies who register here.
This should be required reading for any "oldbies" who've forgotten the pain of quitting.
What are you waiting for?  Quit now!
Quit date 10 July 2002.

Offline doubleV

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 09:50:34 PM »
Will someone add one to address, "I think it's fun"
:(
free your mind and your ass will follow

Offline FlatironMike

• May the Gnomes Be With You
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:34 AM »
OK, DoubleV, how does this read?

"I Think It's Fun"  Response:  I think it's fun to wake up and hack and cough for 15 minutes every morning.  I think it's fun to have to stop half-way up a flight of steps to catch my breathe.  I think it's fun to smell like an old out-house.

FlatironMike
more fun with Smobriety!
&&fim&&
Smober & Free since February 10, 2007 at 10:30PM!

It Just Gets Better!

Offline sarahc

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:10:47 AM »
I remember this!  I had it on my fridge  :)
Qiut date 23.03.2012  (hopefully for the last time)

Offline jondavison777

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »
I love this.  It describes every reason I have failed in the past.  I will not fail this time....

Offline Leon

• Hi there!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
This should be required reading for all newbies who register here.
This should be required reading for any "oldbies" who've forgotten the pain of quitting.

I second the motion to make junkie thinking a required read for quitters all!!!
$$$coolshades$$$

Leon-                                         **mush**
Quit date: Feb 20, 2012  ^^wave^^   It's all about The Quit!  **joy**   Basset Art Work by D.Alcott W.

Offline eightpans

• I smoked - I came here - I quit - Simple
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
When my ex wife walked out on me after 20 years of marriage I was quit 2 years.
I had this massive feeling of
"I'll show you"
"I'm going to smoke"
I stopped for a second when I thought this
W....T.....F
STOP
It was at that point I realised
When I beat that crave
I would probably never smoke again.
Junkie thinking can happen any time be on your guard

Chris
Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for YOURSELF !

Offline Wayne Baker

• Administrator
  • Quit Date: Sept. 25, 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 05:40:45 AM »
That's always amazed me Chris...the part of the addict that will show someone by hurting one's self!!!   Been there, done that in previous years.